This lovely Vendel Period sword with silvered hilt, is based on a wonderfully constructed discovery unearthed from a ship burial site in Uppsala, Sweden. This single-handed sword is a perfect example of a Norse weapon in terms of shape. Damascus steel is used to manufacture the double-edged blade with broad fuller. The blade's whole tang is fastened to the pommel and the edges are not honed.
The approx. 9 cm long, 1.5 cm thick guard and the generously sized pommel are made in brass and faithfully reproduce the original artefact's highly intricate etched motifs and patterns. Contrasting tin-plated brass bands complement the tarnished brass finish. The pommel is made up of numerous components that are welded together, just like many authentic specimens from this time period. The pommel cap has red enamel inlay that looks like genuine garnets. Brown leather covers the wooden core grip.
This Vendel one-handed sword comes complete with a brown wood-and-leather scabbard with wooden suspension loop (max. belt width 5 cm) and antiqued brass throat and chape.
This Vendel one-handed sword comes with an antiqued brass throat and chape, as well as a brown wood-and-leather scabbard with wooden suspension loop (maximum belt width 5 cm).
Please keep in mind that this sword is not battle ready. It's meant to be a collector's item or a decoration/display piece, not for battle reenactment. Aside from its value as a collectable, it's also ideal for use as a prop, such as to finish a costume.
- Material: EN45 spring steel blade (high carbon steel, not stainless), brass guard and pommel, leather-bound wooden handle
- Overall length: approx. 89.5 cm
- Blade length: approx. 73 cm
- Blade thickness: approx. 4 mm (cutting edges approx. 1 mm)
- Hilt length: approx. 16.5 cm (grip approx. 11 cm)
- Max. blade width: approx. 5 cm
- Point of balance: approx. 13 cm from the guard
- Incl. wooden scabbard with genuine leather cover and brass fittings
- Weight without scabbard: approx. 1.55 kg
- Weight with scabbard: approx. 1.9 kg
|Material||EN45 spring steel blade (high carbon steel, not stainless), brass guard and pommel, leather-bound wooden handle|
|Scabbard||Incl. wooden scabbard with genuine leather cover and brass fittings|
|Blade Size||73 cm|
- Stock: Shipping: 1-2 Weeks
- Model: 911140
- Weight: 2.20kg